La Spezia is a city with approx 90,000 inhabitants located right on the border between Liguria and Tuscany. It's ideal to find accommodation here for those who want to make day trips by train to Genoa, Portofino, Cinque Terre, Lucca, Pisa and Florence.
In only 10 minutes you reach by train the first village of Cinque Terre. All regional trains from La Spezia stop in the five villages of the Cinque Terre.
The hotels in La Spezia are more affordable than in the Cinque Terre villages and you can find plenty of hotels near the station and in the old town.
The pedestrian street "Via Prione" has a great range of shops for those wanting to buy Italian clothing and a lively outdoor fish and vegetable market every morning.
La Spezia has a major seaport located in the “Gulf of Poets". With excursion boats from the harbor you can easily reach the picturesque five villages of the Cinque Terre. Worth a visit are are also the nearby fishing villages of Lerici and Portovenere and the Palmaria island.
Things to see:
- The Maritime Museum (Museo Navale)
- Castle of San Giorgio with the Archaeological Museum
- The Amedeo Lia Art Museum
- The modern church of Cristo Re in Piazza Europe
- The village of Lerici with its castle and the Archaeological Museum.
- The fishing village of Portovenere with its castle and typical houses and the church of San Pietro
- The islands of Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto
- The Palio del Golfo, a rowing competition which takes place every year on the first Sunday in August.