Riomaggiore is the most southern village of the Cinque Terre, situated just a few minutes by train from La Spezia. The town climbs up along the ridges overlooking the sea and it is characterized from the typical stone houses with coloured façades and slate-roofs.
In the small picturesque village of Riomaggiore you can find some romantic guesthouses with fantastic sea views. There are also some charming hotels with great location in the centre of the small town: Hotels in Riomaggiore.
We have selected some apartments with amazing location at the picturesque harbor here: Apartments in Riomaggiore.
How to get to Riomaggiore
Please refer to How to reach Cinque Terre.
Hiking trail from Riomaggiore to Portovenere
In Riomaggiore starts the Via dell’Amore, Lover’s Lane, a wonderful path known for the romantic atmosphere and amazing landscapes. It leads to Manarola and it takes twenty minutes walking. Unfortunately the path is closed following a landslide. It is now being repaired and will be reopened in 2024.
An alternative path from Riomaggiore to Manarola is Via Beccara (1h) which is a vigorous hike, and therefore not for the faint of heart. The Beccara trail goes straight up over the top of the mountain and down the other side. This trail is free.
You can also walk the trail from Riomaggiore to Portovenere (5 hours). During this excursion you will see breathtaking panoramic sea views right next to the cliffs. You do not need a trekking card for this hike. More information: Open trails Cinque Terre.
Map of Riomaggiore
What to see
• Via dell'Amore, Riomaggiore is connected to Manarola by this famous footpath. This path is closed due to a landslide and will reopen in summer 2024.
• The Church of San Giovanni Battista, built in 1340 (gothic style).
• The Church of San Lorenzo (1338) with its beautiful rose window dating back to the 14th century.
• Castle of Riomaggiore (built in 1260): where you can enjoy a wonderful sight over the sea.
• About 350 metres from the sea, along the coast road connecting the Cinque Terre with La Spezia, you can find the Sanctuary of Madonna di Montenero; enjoy the breathtaking panoramic view of the whole coastal line of the Cinque Terre.