Levanto is a famous seaside resort along the Italian Riviera, 80 km east of Genoa.
This town is the perfect starting-point for visiting the picturesque villages of Cinque Terre.
From Levanto you can easily reach the five villages by train in only 10 minutes, by boat or by foot through guided tracks.
Levanto has a long sandy beach, shops and good restaurants. This popular sea resort is surrounded by a green valley of pine forests, olive groves, vineyards and small medieval villages.
Levanto is not only a place for sun-bathers, divers, surfers and hikers. It’s also an ideal starting-point for day-trips by train or boat to many interesting places along the Riviera such as: Cinque Terre, Portovenere, Portofino and Genova.
Where to stay in Levanto
There is a wide range of three and four-star hotels with good standards or if you prefer some very romantic Bed & Breakfasts near the sea. Discover our best choices for all budgets and tastes: Hotels in Levanto and Bed and Breakfasts in Levanto.
If you are travelling with family or a group of friends there are also some really nice apartments here: Apartments in Levanto.
Map of Levanto
More maps can be found on Cinque Terre Maps.
How to reach Levanto
By car: motorway A12 (GENOVA - LIVORNO), exit CARRODANO, than follow directions to LEVANTO.
By train: railway station LEVANTO on the line GENOVA - LA SPEZIA.
By airplane: Airport of Genova Cristoforo Colombo (90 Km) or Airport of Pisa Galileo Galilei (111 Km)
By boat: from La Spezia with maritime consortium Golfo dei Poeti (please refer to boat excursions)
Parking in Levanto
Two main parking areas are located near the railway station and the waterfront.
Please refer to the Parking in Levanto page.
Hiking trails Levanto - Cinque Terre
A network of hiking trails connects Levanto with the National Park of Cinque Terre. Tou can walk from Levanto to Monterosso and it takes about 3 hours.
We also recommend you to visit the beautiful village of Bonassola situated just a few kilometers west of Levanto with a wonderful beach. You can download a 3d Levanto Footpaths Map (pdf format) or visit a list of the footpaths on Levanto footpaths map (pdf format).
What to see in Levanto
- the bike path Levanto - Bonassola - Framura (6km)
- Sant' Andrea Church
- Oratorio di San Giacomo
- Church of San Rocco
- The medieval castle and tower
- Piazza della Loggia (Loggia square)
- Via Garibaldi (Garibaldi street)
- Piazza Cavour (Cavour square)
Shopping in Levanto
The shops are generally open from 9 am to 1 pm and from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm. From Monday to Saturday there is a covered market selling fruit, vegetables and fish. Every Wednesday a nice open air market selling clothes, shoes and garden plants. We can recommend the shops selling Pasta Fresca; all sorts of fresh pasta, ravioli, gnocchi, trofie etc and different sorts of rice- and vegetablepies, lasagne and pesto.
- 1st January: Un tuffo nell’anno nuovo - New Year's Day swim.
- 3rd Sunday of May: Mangialonga, wine & food walk through the trails of Levanto valley.
- July 25: Festa di San Giacomo - Festival of the sea with religion procession, flag-throwing and fireworks.
- July and August: Festival Amfiteatrof - international festival of classic music.
- August 10: Tuffo sotto le stelle - beach party.
- August 15: Ferragosto - public holiday. Carneval and beach party.
- Mid August: La Traversata del Golfo di Levanto - Swimming race in the ocean.
- October: De Gustibus Tour - an enogastronomic walk through the historic center of Levanto, tasting of local specialties offered by the commercial shops. Torta d'erbe, ravioli al ragù and more.
- October: Stralevanto, half marathon (circa 14,5 Km) in Levanto and surroundings.