La Spezia is a city with approx 90,000 inhabitants located right on the border between Liguria and Tuscany not far from Pisa, Genoa (Genova) and Florence (Firenze).
The pedestrian main street "Via Prione" has a great range of shops for those wanting to buy Italian clothing and a lively outdoor fish and vegetable market every morning.
The hotels in La Spezia are quite affordable and you can find plenty of hotels near the station and in the old town. It's the ideal city for those who want to make day trips by train to Genoa, Portofino, Cinque Terre, Lucca, Pisa and Florence.
La Spezia has a major seaport located in the “Gulf of Poets". Worth a visit are the nearby fishing villages of Lerici, Portovenere and the Palmaria island. With excursion boats from the harbor you can even reach the picturesque five villages of the Cinque Terre.
La Spezia map
For more maps please visit our Map Site
How to reach La Spezia
La Spezia Central station (La Spezia Centrale) is on the main railway line linking Genova to Pisa-Rome and Parma. Please pay attention that La Spezia has other 2 train stations; La Spezia Migliarina and La Spezia Cà di Boschetti.
You can reach La Spezia on the "A12 Genova - Livorno" motorway or from Parma A15 "Parma -La Spezia".
La Spezia doesn't have an airport. Nearest airports are the Pisa Galileo Galilei Airport (110 km distance) and the Genova Cristoforo Colombo Airport (80 km distance). Florence Airport is at about 150 Km distance.
Things to see
- The Waterfront, visit the port area near the old part of the city and the Porto Mirabello. Near the waterfront, the passeggiata Costantino Morin is worth a walk.
- Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta
- The Maritime Museum (Museo Navale)
- Castle of San Giorgio with the Archaeological Museum
- Ponte di Thaon di Revel, an elegant modern bridge supported by white cables, provides a walkway from the public gardens to Porto Mirabello.
- The Amedeo Lia Art Museum
- The Parco Giardini Pubblici
- Chiesa di Nostra Signoria della neve, located in Via Giuseppe Garibaldi.
- The modern church of Cristo Re in Piazza Europa.
- The village of Lerici with its castle and the Archaeological Museum.
- The fishing village of Portovenere with its castle and typical houses and the church of San Pietro
- The islands of Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto
- March 19th, Fiera di San Giuseppe
- The Palio del Golfo, a rowing competition which takes place every year on the first Sunday in August.